8 March is International Women's Day.
I am sorry that this post is late. I was pretty tied up for three days. Parties & celebrations started last Friday and finished yesterday. March 8 fell on a Sunday so the holiday was extended till 9th so everybody had a long weekend.
I had party with colleagues, met friends, had a date with my Bear and celebrated with his family.
I'd like to share with you a picture story of Women's Day in Russia. If on Men's Day men were adored, it is now their time to return the favor (2x more hehe). Well you see, Russian men love to pamper their women with flowers & presents. They also like taking care of them as women. And on this special day, they play like "slaves" starting from house chores to nagging. They "have no rights to complain". It is not a must but it is some game which everybody enjoys playing. It's women's day - it is every man's mother's day. Whatever kind of man there is, he has a mother who bore him. So it is like a "gratitude" day as well apart from other reasons that entails the celebration of Women's Day.
I have found some old Soviet posters of Women's Day celebration. I find them interesting, very different from nowaday's.
Like I said, it is also s day of appreciating mothers, like Mother's Day in other countries. Children made cards and handicrafts for their mothers. Boys brought flowers.
The picture above is how the contemporary world sees this holiday. It's more of a funny, sexy lover approach.
What I like most about this day is not the fact that I am a woman myself and that I am being celebrated & showered with presents.
I like the fact that I am seeing. Men, from different walks of life soften on this day and take time to appreciate women in any way they can. A man can be a bouncer, a butcher a drunk, a child, a grandpa, all of them have one mission to accomplish at this very day. To show women they care about them.
And all women of ages, a child, lady, pregnant or grandma are all going to receive something on this day.
Flowers...overflowing flowers. Chocolates & presents. It makes my heart sing seeing men in the shops, enthusiastic, bothered, confused but all eager to find something they can give the women in their lives.
Everyone's happy. Everything seems to be a fairytale. But what is really happening in the real sense?
Being a woman on a women's day in Russia means you can be a demanding queen to drama queen. Your wish is men's command (at most times but quite strongly at this particular day).
You can ask to be painted even if your man is not an artist. Some men reserve this day for a surprise proposal (some of those who wish to be proposed but haven't been of course end up disappointed). Husbands volunteer to do the house chores and sometimes lead to "disaster" which means that there's a lot of cleaning up to do for the wife right after the holiday (so better pass:).
Mascots on the road giving out flowers to every woman they see. I received one last year. This year was colder and I stayed indoors. Every woman cashier is greeted by every man customer. A woman who was caught violating traffic rules are pardoned on this day and receives a flower from the traffic police instead of fine. Oh you can imagine some single women do it on purpose :) *wink*
Programs organized by boys are held in the universities or in the offices. It is to pay tribute to female coeds and colleagues (and course it calls for a reason to ... "cheers" & get drunk in the office :)
They are also becoming more & more creative each year. Starting from breakfast designs
to presents made easy.
Translates: Just like that. Why do men think a lot. :)
Maybe the person who received this spent big on men's day so now is receiving the money back...2x more hehe.
I love Women's Day! I feel happy seeing people around me happy. Just a smile on their faces makes my life much easier. (you know what I'm talking about if you've read my old post about smiling in Russia. :)
note: all the above photos are from the internet.
P.S. Here's a glimpse of some that I received :)
Linking this post to:













.jpg)

A lovely post for Women's Day.. I hope your March 8th was a happy day! Have a happy week ahead!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mari. I enjoyed reading how Women's Day is celebrated in Russia. Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteit think anything that lets people think about others is a good thing. i'm sure lots of laughter goes with the day.
ReplyDeleteWow, Women's Day sounds so much fun!! It's like Mother's Day and Valentine's Day coming together. I wonder, is there Mother's Day in Russia?
ReplyDeleteI can't agree more about house chores leading to disaster. I'd pass, too. Haha :-) You got so many lovely present. The flowers are so beautiful!
Your flowers are incredible. You are a lucky woman! And I like this idea of a holiday very much. And for the same reasons you do, although being a woman has its benefits, too. Loved the contrasting posters and photos and how the holiday has changed. Yet it still has kept its reason for being and that's wonderful.
ReplyDeletewe should do this everyday, for both him and her!! but it does seem fun, to have one special day, dedicated just to being kind and thoughtful!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post and pics ~ Celebrate at an event too with marvelous International group of women!
ReplyDeleteHappy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
This was a fantastic way to spend a weekend. Everything looks beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love this! It sounds like a fun day and I think it needs to spread to other countries. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was really fun to read about, especially since we don't have the holiday. I also really liked the old posters of comminist times compared with today.
ReplyDeleteWow - cool tradition!!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a great idea!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post! I always love to learn about different ways people celebrate around the world.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are one lucky lady!
ReplyDeleteI like how Women's day is celebrated in Russia! We need that here in the US. Lovely flowers you received. Hope your loved ones treated you like a queen! :)
ReplyDeleteI had never heard about women's day before, but since a couple of years women demonstrate on the streets for equal salaries, equal jobs etc.
ReplyDeleteHi!:) I didn't realize that Womans Day was celebrated in such a big way in Russa. Thank you for all these wonderful photos, some very amusing ones, that made me smile, and some sweet one too. I hope you had a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to see International Women's Day celebrated. Here is has seemed to go unnoticed - particularly by men!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week. I am joining you over at Communal Global.
Wow....what a great celebration! And such wonderful surprises and gifts you were showered with!!
ReplyDeleteI'm lovin' this.
Thanks for this explanation! Here we only buy flowers... or chocolate...
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you must have on this day. I bet there is a lot of laughing as well as gratitude . Your flowers are beautiful! Somebody loves you a lot :)))!
ReplyDeleteIt seems like a wonderful day (that is if you don´t have to do a lot of disaster saving afterwards). All the best from Sweden!
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing all the pictures and hearing about how this day is celebrated. I think it would make me smile too!
ReplyDelete